The name Minerva is a girl's name of Latin origin meaning "of the mind, intellect". Minerva and is often added to lists like Old Lady Names and discussed in our forums with posts like "Pick 5 (GIRLS)".
From the experts:
Minerva is the long-neglected name of the Roman goddess of wisdom and invention, the arts and martial strength—which might appeal to adventurous feminist parents.
Minerva Pott is a character in Dickens's novel Pickwick Papers. In Harry Potter, Minerva McGonagall is a Witch and Deputy Headmistress of Hogswarts, and in the Artemis Fowl books, Minerva Paradizo is equally intellectual. There's also a series of kids' mystery books centering around a Minerva Clark.
Minerva was a Top 500 name through the early 1920s, last appearing on the list in 1973. It's well liked on Nameberry though—currently at Number 417. Nickname Minnie fits right in with the other currently stylish vintage nickname names. Curiously, though, actress Minnie Driver was not born Minerva, but Amelia.
Lists containing Minerva:
- Cool Girl Names from Ancient Cultures
- Old Lady Names
- Mythological Baby Names for Girls
- Unusual Baby Names
- Early African-American Names
- Girls' Names With Gravity
- Goddess Baby Names
- Steampunk Baby Names
- Names from Harry Potter
- Cool Classic Girls’ Names — 100+ below the Top 1000
- Unique Vintage Baby Names for Girls
- Baby Names from Children's Books
- Hipster British Baby Names for Girls