The name Maisie is a girl's name of Scottish origin meaning "pearl". Maisie is ranked #574 on our popularity charts and is often added to lists like British Girl Names and discussed in our forums with posts like "A Duggarlike Game: With a twist!".
From the experts:
Maisie, a hundred-year-old favorite, is in perfect tune with today. Spelled Maisy in a popular children's book series, Maisie is rising in tandem with cousin Daisy. While Maisie might be short for Margaret, Mary, or even a name like Melissa or Marissa, it stands perfectly well on its own.
In literature, Maisie is the name of the precocious young title character in the Henry James novel What Maisie Knew, and is also the main female character in Rudyard Kipling's The Light That Failed. And to bring things up to date, Maisie is a half-blood character in the Harry Potter series as well as the name of hot young Game of Thrones star Maisie Williams.
Maisie re-entered the US Top 1000 in 2014 at 658, making it one of the fastest rising names of that year. She's still got a ways to go to catch up to to her English counterparts: in the UK, Maisie is in the Top 60.
Lists containing Maisie:
- Names All Your Friends Will Think Are Cool
- British Girl Names
- Yupster Baby Names for Girls
- Nicknames for Girls
- Vintage Nicknames for Girls
- Literary Names for Girls
- If You Like Daisy, You Might Love...
- If You Like Lucy, You Might Love...
- If You Like Madison, You Might Love...
- If You Like Sadie, You Might Love...
- Mary's Stylish Variations
- Baby Names from Books
- Scottish Baby Names
- Scottish Names for Girls
- Literary Baby Names
- Cute Baby Names for Girls
- Baby Name Favorites Right Now
- Baby Girl Names to Love Right Now
- Antique Baby Names Back in Style
- Favorite Names on Nameberry
- Attitude Nicknames for Girls
- Popular Baby Names 2017
- Nickname Names
- Great Names for Big Dogs