Hollis Origin and Meaning
The name Hollis is a boy's name of English origin meaning "near the holly bushes".
Hollis is a surname-name used quietly for both genders. In 2015, it was given to 176 boys and 106 girls in the US. It has notable connections for both genders: Hollis Thompson is a professional (male) basketball player, while Hollis is an outsized favorite for girls in South Carolina, where Pete Hollis was a community folk hero. On the girls' side, it makes Holly more buttoned-up and distinctive.
20 Names Similar to Hollis
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Hollis.
Want to keep track of your favorite names?
Create an account and you can create lists, keep track of favorites, and even be alerted when there is new content posted about a name.
Lists containing Hollis
Famous People Named Hollis
- Hollis ThompsonAmerican basketball player
Hollis in Pop Culture
- Hollis Collegeuniversity on "Pretty Little Liars"
- Hollisfrom TV series "Mad About You"
- Hollis Doyleelevator operator from "Mad Men”
- Hollis Wilsonfrom the book The Passage by Justin Cronin.
- Hollis "Holly" Woodcharacter from the from 1941