The name Edie is a girl's name of English origin meaning "prosperous in war". Edie and is often added to lists like Hipster Baby Names and discussed in our forums with posts like "A brother or sister for little Jack or Olivia".
From the experts:
Edie is part of the Evie-Ellie et al family of cute and friendly short forms that sometimes stand on its own. Briefly popular in the 1960's, it could well be due for rediscovery.
Several Ediths have chosen to be known by this pet form, including socialite and Andy Warhol superstar Edie Sedgwick, actress Edie Falco, singer Edie Brickell and the Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy relatives called Big and Little Edie in the iconic documentary Grey Gardens. Edie Britt was the character portrayed by Nicolette Sheridan in Desperate Housewives.
British actress Samantha Morton chose Edie for her daughter as did Keira Knightly in 2015. We think Edie is going to continue to rise in the coming years.
Lists containing Edie:
- Best Girl Names Starting with Vowels
- Nicknames for Baby Girls
- Vintage Nicknames for Girls
- TV Character Names
- Hipster Baby Names
- Alternatives to Eva
- Alternatives to Sadie
- Celebrity-Inspired Baby Names
- Cool Midcentury Baby Names
- Cute Baby Names for Girls
- Classic Celebrity Baby Names
- Attitude Nicknames for Girls
- Nickname Names
- Hipster British Baby Names for Girls
- Bohemian Baby Names
- Beautiful Bohemian Names for Girls
- Names That Mean Wealth
- Names That Mean Fame and Fortune