The name Daphne is a girl's name of Greek origin meaning "laurel tree, bay tree". Daphne is ranked #385 on our popularity charts and is often added to lists like Gorgeous Flower Names for Babies and discussed in our forums with posts like "This or That?------------girls!".
From the experts:
Daphne's origins may be Greek, but it's seen by Americans as quintessentially British—as in the Daphne Moon character on Frasier. hough we don't see it becoming a Top 100 name, Daphne is obviously finding more widespread acceptance—and for a distinctive, deeply-rooted, attractive girls' name, that's a positive thing.
In Greek mythology, Daphne was a nymph who was saved from an over-amorous Apollo by her father, a river god, transforming her into a laurel tree. Her name was taken from that of the shrub and became part of the British vogue for plant names at the end of the nineteenth century.
Its most famous bearer is Daphne du Maurier, author of such suspense novels as Rebecca. Fictional Daphnes have appeared in Some Like It Hot (Jack Lemmon as a woman), The Jewel in the Crown, Scooby-Doo, Harry Potter, Heroes, and Frasier.
Lists containing Daphne:
- Girl Baby Names Moving Up Fast
- Gorgeous Flower Names for Babies
- Video Game Names for Girls
- Classic Baby Names for Girls
- Mythology Baby Names for Girls
- Gorgeous Autumn Baby Names
- Disney Channel Baby Names
- Early African-American Names
- Girls' Names With Gravity
- Sparkling Summer Baby Names
- Gothic Baby Names
- Mystical Names
- Greek Baby Names for Modern Kids
- Hipster British Baby Names for Girls
- Beautiful Bohemian Names for Girls