The name Cora is a girl's name of Greek origin meaning "maiden". Cora is ranked #83 on our popularity charts and is often added to lists like Old Lady Names and discussed in our forums with posts like "How many ____s do you know?".
From the experts:
Cora is a lovely, old-fashioned girls' name -- Cora was a daughter of Zeus and Cora Munro is the heroine of The Last of the Mohicans -- that has been recently rejuvenated and strengthened by its contemporary-feeling simplicity.
Though she has never been completely out of favor, Cora has had her ups and downs. A Top 20 name in the 1880's, she had sunk to Number 876 in 1988, but has gradually come back into style, with every indication that she will continue to rise in popularity. A current inspiration is the appealing American-born Cora Crawley, Countess of Grantham on Downton Abbey.
In classical mythology, Cora--or Kore-- was a euphemistic name of Persephone, goddess of fertility and the underworld.
While a complete name unto itself, some parents who love Cora may want to use it as a short form for such names as Cordelia or Coraline. Cora's fashionable sisters include Clara, Nora, Corinne, Corinna and Coralie.
Lists containing Cora:
- Girl Names Trendier Than You Think
- Classic Girl Names That Aren't Boring
- Two-Syllable Baby Names
- Girl Baby Names Moving Up Fast
- Old Lady Names
- If You Like Sarah, You Might Love...
- Vintage Baby Names for Girls
- Vintage Baby Names
- Cool Vintage Baby Names
- Goddess Baby Names
- Film Noir Baby Names
- Old-Fashioned Baby Names
- Baby Name Favorites Right Now
- Baby Girl Names to Love Right Now
- Antique Baby Names Back in Style
- Favorite Names on Nameberry
- Popular Baby Names 2017
- Greek Baby Names for Modern Kids
- Fashionable Classic Baby Names