Category: Pregnancy & Baby
Twins, twins, they’re everywhere! Or at least, it seems like it. Beyoncé and Jay-Z are expecting twins, and so are George and Amal Clooney. But they’re not the only superstar celebs who are going to be pulling double duty when it comes to raising kiddos — Madonna also recently adopted twin four-year-old girls from Malawi. With all the twinning out there, we’re bringing you the lowdown on these mini multiples.
1. The twin birth rate peaked in 2014. The twin birth rate rose a whopping 76 percent between the years 1980 and 2009, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention(CDC). In 2014, twinning reached a record high. But in 2015 the rate declined… slightly (from 33.9 to 33.5 out of every 1,000 births). Even though there’s an ever so small dip in the twin birth rate, in 2015 alone 133,155 babies were born in twin deliveries!
Every day it seems like there’s a brand new baby gizmo, pregnancy gadget or totally techy item that you absolutely, positively have to buy — like, right now. Your baby still has a few more weeks (or maybe even months) to cook, but you’re already on the hunt for the latest, greatest gear. Before you start stockpiling everything with an “e-” slapped on the front, take a moment to think about how much you really, truly need it. You may actually end up using that space-age baby monitor everyone’s drooling over — but you should know which e-items will just end up being expensive dust-catchers.
YOU WON’T NEED…
1. Wipe Warmer: This isn’t exactly super-duper-fancy high tech, but it’s probably a step above what your own mama had for you. Do you need it? No. Seriously, this is a waste of a baby shower registry pick. Unless you’re all about buying yourself a TP heater, skip the wipe warmer. If your home gets cold enough that the ambient air temp will chill baby’s wipes to the point of freezing, you’ve got bigger concerns.
2. Crazy-Fancy Video Monitor: Believe it or not, there used to be a time when the shrill cry of a newborn woke Mom up in the middle of the night. (Oh yeah, that was yesterday.) No one is saying that you shouldn’t know what baby is up to: When they’re in their crib, you don’t want to wonder, “Gee, are they okay?” At the same time, you don’t want to create your own sleepless nights by gluing your bleary eyes to the video screen. (It’s a crazy-maker for new moms.) The regular ol’ audio-only version will totally alert you if there’s an issue. If your room happens to be anywhere near baby’s, you might not even need that.
3. Movement Monitor: Sure, this is a completely necessary gadget… for some households. If your baby has a medical condition or another issue requiring constant monitoring, your doctor may recommend one. But if your baby has no problems it’s a bit much. It’s cool that you can download an app to check out how much your baby is moving in their crib, but this type of high-tech monitor won’t replace your watchful eye or safe sleeping standards (such as placing baby on their back and keeping fluffy, puffy, quilty items out of the crib).
4. Care Timer: You say you want to set up a schedule for those oh-so-essential care activities? This gadget lets you program in diaper changes, sleep times and feedings. But do you really think you’ll forget to change baby’s diaper if there’s not a beeping, blinking alarm telling you to do it? Probably not. That magical aroma coming from your kiddo’s bottom will do much more than a timer ever could.
5. Formula Dispenser: You already have a set of measuring cups, right? Chances are that at some point you felt enough like a grown up to buy yourself this kitchen staple, even if you don’t cook much (or ever). Pressing down a button and getting the just-right amount of powdered formula dispensed into a bottle sounds nice, but it’s not at all necessary. Especially if you’re nursing!
YOU’LL PROBABLY WANT…
1. Breast Pump: We’re not talking about just any old breast pump here. The super low-tech kind that uses some sort of suction-y, hand-worked arrangement isn’t exactly effective. If you don’t have time to spare (and who does?), you won’t be able to make the most of your pumping sessions without a more tech-savvy version. If you’re looking for a crazy-easy, amazing pump, this spring brings you Willow. It’s a wearable breast pump that fits into your bra without external tubes, cords or bottles dangling from your boobs. Bonus: It’s got a tracking app!
2. Paci-Thermometer: (shown) Your newborn will not open and say “ahhhh” when you try to take their temp. They can’t hold your grown-up thermometer in their mouth, and even if you do it for them, they certainly won’t keep their lips zipped long enough to get a good reading. That means… well, you know where the thermometer has to go. A pacifier version is much easier, for everyone involved! It’s one of the most inexpensive baby gadgets out there, making it a must for new mamas.
3. Your Phone: Don’t go asking for a new one on your registry or anything, but your smart phone is THE go-to piece of baby tech, with something like a zillion uses. There are apps galore, for everything from playing white noise to getting a quick reference cheat sheet on infant safety and first aid. That’s not to mention the wealth of info available online through that tiny computer in your hands. Along with apps and access to the internet, your phone also has that very necessary camera for taking photos and vids to share straight to IG and FB.
What’s your must-have baby gadget?
Erica Loop is a freelance writer living in Pittsburgh. When she’s not busy creating kids’ activities for her blog Mini Monets and Mommies, you can find her trying to hang out with her teenage son, being chased by her two Olde Boston Bulldogs or teaching a children’s karate class (she’s a third degree black belt!).
By Erica Loop
The big day is almost here. Woo-hoo! Just one thing — you’ve yet to pack your hospital bag. You’re fairly certain you shouldn’t bring a 12-piece luggage set with you for a 48-hour hospital stay, but even your labor playlist is in better shape than your go-bag list. Yep, packing for “baby day” isn’t exactly easy. Narrow things down with these hospital bag essentials!
Now that you’re a soon-to-be mama, your BFFs are constantly sending you FB links to “totally true” baby sex predictor tests. You just read that if you mix baking soda with your own pee (yes, people actually do this) and it fizzes, you are def having a boy. Um, really? You’re all about figuring out whether you need a princess pink or sea creature blue nursery, but you aren’t exactly sure if these so-called methods are real or just old wives’ tales. Check out the facts — and the fictions — when it comes to figuring out whether you’re having a Jenny or a Johnny.
From pregnancy gadgets to baby names, there are a lot of things to study up on when you’re pregnant. To add to the pile of decisions, many hospitals and birthing centers offer a large selection of prenatal classes to choose from. It can be hard to decide which ones to take, and budget aside, it can be pretty time consuming to try and tackle them all. So, which ones give new parents the biggest bang for their buck? Scroll on to see what pregnancy classes are a total must.