Will it be a Boy or a Girl?: Gender-predicting Old Wives Tales
With thanks to our partners over at parents.com for sharing this collection of age-old superstitions and myths about gender prediction. There’s lots more (serious) pregnancy info to check out on their site.
Little is known about the origins of the following old wives’ tales regarding how to guess baby’s sex, but many pregnant women today still swing chains above their bellies and examine how they’re carrying to determine what they’re having. Whether you’re trying to guess your own baby’s gender or looking for shower games for a friend, read on for the top ways women have guessed: boy or girl?
- If you prefer sleeping on your left side, you’ll have a boy. Right side? A girl.
- Extreme nausea means you are having a girl.
- If your hands are dry, you are having a boy; soft — expect a girl.
- If you’re craving citrus, you’re having a girl.
- If your skin breaks out, expect a girl.
- If you feel graceful during pregnancy, you’ll have a girl. Clumsy? It’s a boy.
- If you gain weight in your face, it means you’re having a girl.
- Craving salt? Expect a boy. A little something sweet? You’re having a girl.
- If your right breast is larger than the left, you are having a girl. If the left is larger, a boy.
- Feeling extremely moody? Expect a girl.
How Are You Carrying?
- If baby is low, expect a boy. High, it’s a girl.
- If you’re carrying in front, it’s a boy. All around your middle? A girl.
Try These Scenarios:
- Dangle a chain with a charm over your palm. It is swings back and forth: boy. In a circle: girl.
- How would you show someone your hands? Palms up? It’s a girl. Down? A boy.
- Hang a ring on a chain over your belly. Swings back and forth? It’s a girl. In a circular motion, a boy.
- If a toddler boy shows interest in your belly, you’ll have a girl. If he ignores you, it’s a boy.
- Guess the baby’s sex by eating garlic. If the smell seeps out of your pores — boy. No scent — girl.
- If you pick up a key by the round end, you’re having a boy. If it’s by the long end? A girl.
- If your age and year of conception are both even or odd, it’s girl. One even, one odd means a boy.
- If the baby’s heart beats more than 150 times per minute, you’ll have a girl. Less than 150, a boy.
- A child tends to be of the same sex as the parent who is less stressed at the time of conception.
- If you dream about having a girl, you will wind up having a boy and vice versa.
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.
on September 14th, 2013 at 7:11 pm
You will not know your child’s gender until he/she/ze determines it him/her/hirself. All you know is the sex assigned at birth.
on September 19th, 2013 at 10:07 am
Yeah, you have to wait a much longer time to determine the gender. Sex you can find out at birth.
Some of these I had heard, except for the even/odd year of conception/age thing. That one takes the cake in silliness. Ah well, it’s just for fun.
on September 30th, 2013 at 9:57 pm
I personally found a great guide to know what to do if I want a baby girl or a baby boy! I Reviewed the complete guide on my personal blog, please feel free to visit and leave a comment! http://www.mymostaccuratepregnancytest.com/is-it-really-possible-to-choose-your-babys-gender/ I personally find all these online test a bit dubious and this book helped me a lot!
leave a reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.