Scottish"green river, sea friend"
Irving Origin and Meaning
The name Irving is boy's name of Scottish origin meaning "green river, sea friend".
It might be surprising to know that this name originated as a Scottish place and surname name, as in Washington Irving. It became a popular choice for first-generation Jewish-American boys, such as best-selling authors Irving Stone and Irving Wallace, whose parents looked to surnames from the British Isles to confer a measure of assimilation and class. Irving Berlin changed his name from Israel; actor Ving Rhames streamlined and coolized it. Irving was a Top 100 name during World War I, and though we don't envision it reaching those heights again, we can see some hipster parents having their own little Ving.
20 Names Similar to Irving
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Irving.
Famous People Named Irving
- Irving Berlin (born Israel Isidore Baline)American composer
- Irving Grant ThalbergAmerican film producer
- Washington IrvingAmerican author
- Irving Rameses "Ving" RhamesAmerican actor
- Irving Lester JanisAmerican research psychologist
- Irving Mills (born Isadore Minsky)American jazz publisher and musician
- Irving Caesar(born Isidor Keiser) American lyricist
- Irving LangmuirAmerican Nobel Prize,winning chemist
- Irving FisherAmerican economist
Irving in Pop Culture
- Irving "Irv" Harpercharacter on TV's "Everwood"
- Lloyd Irvingmain character of video game "Tales of Symphonia"
- Irving Hillmancharacter in newspaper comic strip "Cathy"
- Irving Beaksa character from the Nickelodeon cartoon "Harvey Beaks"
- Irvingcharacter mentioned in the movie "Chicago," during the "Cell Block Tango" number
- Irving BurnsideJon Arbuckle's next door neighbor in the cartoon show "Garfield and Friends"