Electra Origin and Meaning
The name Electra is girl's name of Greek origin meaning "shining, bright".
Though the tragedies of the Greeks and Eugene O'Neill that used this name are filled with incest and murder, Electra is still a brilliant choice. Isabella Rossellini chose the gentler Italian verson, Elettra, for her now grown daughter.
20 Names Similar to Electra
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Electra.
Famous People Named Electra
- Electra Havemeyer WebbAmerican antiques collector; daughter of Henry Osborne Havemeyer and Louisine Elder
- Electra Webbdaughter of Electra Havemeyer Webb
- Electra Collins DorenAmerican suffragist and library scientist
- Electra Niarchos (b. 1995)daughter of Greek shipping heir Philip Niarchos and Victoria Guinness
- Carmen ElectraAmerican actress
- Anna Michaela Ebba Electra von HausswolffSwedish singer, pianist, organist and songwriter.
Electra in Pop Culture
- Electraprincess of Argos in Greek mythology, who plotted to kill her mother Clytemnestra as revenge for the murder of her father Agamemnon
- Electra Complexfemale equivalent of an Oedipal Complex
- "Mourning Becomes Electra" play cycle by Eugene O'Neill
- "Electra Heart" album by Marina and the Diamonds, inspired by her alter ego Electra
- Electrakitten in musical "Cats"
- Electra the Electric Traincharacter in musical "Starlight Express"
- ElectraCathy's dog from the comic strip "Cathy"
- Electraprotagonist of the movie Love by Gaspar Noe.