The name Xavier is a boy's name of Arabic, Basque origin meaning "new house or bright". Xavier is ranked #89 on our popularity charts and is often added to lists like Middle Names for Boys and discussed in our forums with posts like "Baby a Day".
From the experts:
Xavier is one of the only X names most people know and use, often as a middle name following Francis, as in Saint Francis Xavier, cofounder of the Jesuit order, who got his name from the Spanish-Basque village where he was born.
Today's parents are beginning to reassess Xavier, and it's as popular now as it's ever been.
Xavier was chosen for their sons by Donnie Wahlberg and Tilda Swinton-- as well as for the middle name of Larenz Tate's son Miles and Kim Fields' Quincy. Many Americans pronounce the iniitial X, as in ex-ZAY-vee-er, but it's equally accepted to pronounce the name ZAY-vee-er, closer to the French pronunciation.
The Spanish classic Javier, pronounced HAH-vee-ay, has come into greater prominence via Oscar-winning Javier Bardem.
Trivia note: the X-men comics introduced the kreeatif spelling Xzavier.
Lists containing Xavier:
- Three-Syllable Baby Names
- Boy Names Trendier Than You Think
- Alternatives to Alexander
- Shimmering New Year's Baby Names
- Inspirational Baby Names That Mean Hope
- Baby Names That Mean New Beginnings
- Latin Baby Names
- Vibrant Spring Baby Names
- X Factor Baby Names
- College Baby Names
- Middle Names for Boys
- Wonderful Names for January Babies
- Names That Mean Dawn
- Radiant Names That Mean Light
- Shimmering Names That Mean Pure