Mavis Origin and Meaning
Some noted bearers of the name are r&b singer Mavis Staples, a member of the Staple Singers, Canadian writer Mavis Gallant and the feminist activist Mavis Leno.
Mavis Gary was the name of the Charlize Theron character in the film Young Adult. And--trivia tidbit--in her short-running eponymous sitcom, Whoopi Goldberg's character was named Mavis.
Mavis Rank in US Top 1000
20 Names Similar to Mavis
Want to keep track of your favorite names?
Create an account and you can create lists, keep track of favorites, and even be alerted when there is new content posted about a name.
Lists containing Mavis
Famous People Named Mavis
- Mavis StaplesAmerican singer and civil rights activist
- Mavis Leslie de Trafford GallantCanadian fiction writer
- Mavis FanTaiwanese pop singer
- Mavis Hee (born Xu Meifeng)Singaporean pop singer
- Mavis Clare VilliersAustralian,British actress
- Mavis CheekEnglish novelist
- Mavis Anne FreemanAmerican Olympic swimmer
- Mavis Elizabeth Nicholson LenoAmerican philanthropist; wife of comedian Jay Leno
- Mavis Gladys Fox PughEnglish actress
- Mavis Constance Tate (born Maybird Hogg)English politician
- Mavis JukesAmerican children's author
- Mavis WilsonCanadian politician
- Mavis NicholsonEnglish television presenter
Mavis in Pop Culture
- Mavis Draculaa character in the movie "Hotel Transylvania"
- "Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing" series of computer programs
- Mavis Clarecharacter in "The Sorrows of Satan" by Marie Corelli, bestselling book that first popularized the name
- Mavis Vermillioncharacter in the anime "Fairy Tail"
- Mavis Garymain character in movie "Young Adult "
- Mrs. Mavis Pikecharacter in British TV's "Dad's Army"
- Mavis Wiltoncharacter in British soap "Coronation Street"
- Mavis Bennettcharacter in New Zealand soap "Shortland Street"
- Mavissea turtle from the 2014 film "Dolphin Tale 2"
- Mavis 'Mave' Cartercharacter on TV's "Call the Midwife," twin sister Meg Carter
- Dark Mavisrecurring character in English rock band Mansun's album "Attack of the Grey Lantern"
- Mavis Trentcharacter in Hawkman comics
- Mavischaracter on British TV series "Open All Hours"
- Mavischaracter in the Thomas & Friends series
- Mavis Andersoncharacter on TV's "Dallas"
- "The Mavis Bramston Show" Australian TV series
- Mavis Buckeycharacter in the Funny Farm webcomic
- Mavis Cruetfairy character in British series "Willo the Wisp"
- "Bring Me the Head of Mavis Davis" 1997 film
- Mavis "Bubbles" DeVerecharacter on British comedy "Little Britain"
- Mavis Freestonecharacter in the " ...in Death" series by J.D. Robb
- Mavis Madlingcharacter on TV's "Designing Women"
- "The Transformation of Miss Mavis Ming" novel by Michael Moorcock
- Mavis Munrocharacter in comics series "Supernatural Law"
- Mavis Neffcharacter on TV's "The Andy Griffith Show"
- Mavis Newkirkcharacter on TV's "Hogan's Heroes"
- Mavis Raemain character on TV's "Whoopi"
- Mavis WartellaDepew, character in video game "Rockett's New School"