Luz Origin and Meaning
The name Luz is a girl's name of Spanish origin meaning "light".
Pronounced LOOSE, this name that refers to the Virgin Mary—"Our Lady of Light"—is one of the most widely used Spanish name for girls. Its sleekness and stylish final z gives it a modern appeal, like sister name Lux. Nicknames and variations include Chitta, Lucecita, Lucelida, Lucelita, Lucha, Lucida, Lucila, Lusa, and Luzana.
# 895 in the US
Luz Rank in US Top 1000
20 Names Similar to Luz
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Luz.
Want to keep track of your favorite names?
Create an account and you can create lists, keep track of favorites, and even be alerted when there is new content posted about a name.
Lists containing Luz
- Mexican Baby Names
- Cool Winter Baby Names
- Exoticized Names
- European Girl Names
- Best One Syllable Baby Names
- Cool International Girl Names
- Short Baby Names
- Hispanic Baby Names
- Fastest-Rising Girl Names
- Brilliant Names That Mean Light
- Magical Christmas Baby Names
- December Baby Names
- Spanish Baby Girl Names
- Names That Mean Hope
- Spanish Word Names
- One-Syllable Middle Names for Girls
- Names That Mean Dawn
- Disney Channel Baby Names
Famous People Named Luz
- (María) Luz Casal (Paz)Spanish pop singer
- Luz Dary Castro (Lemos)Colombian shot putter
- Maria D'Luz (born Dulce Maria Gonzalez Aldaz)Mexican,American pianist,singer,songwriter
- María De Luz Da SilvaVenezuelan beauty queen
- María de Luz Flores Acevesbirth name of Lucha Reyes, Mexican singer and actress
Luz in Pop Culture
- Luzplace in the lot of Joseph (Joshua 16:2)
- Luza city in the land of the Hittites (Judges 1:26)
- "Luz" is Spanish and Portuguese for "light"
- Luz Marina Falco Coopercharacter in Ursula K. Le Guin's "The Eye of the Heron"
- Luzgod of pain and oppression in the D&D Greyhawk setting
- Luz Nocedamain character in Disney's "The Owl House"