The name Homer is a boy's name of Greek origin meaning "security, pledge". Homer and is often added to lists like Best Cool Unusual Boys' Names and discussed in our forums with posts like "What would be the perfect twin?".
From the experts:
Homer is a name that has traveled from the ancient Greek scribe of the great classical epics to Bart Simpson's doltish dad, and has also become the surprise hot celebrity pick of such parents as Richard Gere (his father's name), Bill Murray, and Anne Heche. Simpsons creator Matt Groening has both a father and a son named Homer.
Because of the epic scope of The Odyssey and The Iliad, the term "homeric" implies work on an enormous scale, while "homeric laughter" references the unrestrained laughter of the Greek gods.
With its quirky resume, Homer could make an interesting choice.
Lists containing Homer:
- Unusual Antique Baby Names
- Two-Syllable Baby Names
- Creative Baby Names
- If You Like Nicholas, You Might Love...
- Geek Chic Names for Boys
- Creative Baby Names: Inspired by Artists
- Literary Baby Names Inspired by Authors
- Colonial Names for Boys
- Hipster Baby Names
- Vintage Baby Names for Boys
- Vintage Baby Names
- Best Cool Unusual Boys' Names
- Old-Fashioned Baby Names
- Cool Classic Boys’ Names — 100+ below the Top 1000
- Greek Baby Names for Modern Kids