Dulcinea Origin and Meaning
The name Dulcinea is a girl's name meaning "sweetness".
Miguel de Cervantes invented this elaborate-sounding name -- which roughly translates as "sweetness" -- for the beautiful maiden Don Quixote is obsessed with in his great novel. Even in the fictional world of the book, though, Dulcinea is not the woman's real name; Aldonza is. And because she never appears in person in the text, it's unclear whether she is as beautiful and saintly as the protagonist believes her to be. Probably not, given Don Quixote's track record.
20 Names Similar to Dulcinea
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Dulcinea.
Lists containing Dulcinea
- Unique Baby Names: Unusual and Rare
- Badass Princess Names
- Names to Substitute for Josephine
- Dance Names
- Names That Mean Sweet
- Romantic Baby Names for Girls
Dulcinea in Pop Culture
- Dulcinea del Tobosocharacter in Miguel de Cervantes' "Don Quixote"
- Dulcinea the Dragoncharacter in the "Sonic the Hedgehog"
- Dulcinea "Nan" Pilgrimcharacter in "Witch Week" by Diana Wynne Jones (named after her ancestor, the "Archwitch" Dulcinea Wilkes)
- Dulcineasweet natured cat character from the Adventures of Puss In Boots