Cleo Origin and Meaning
Cleo was most popular in the early decades of the twentieth century--when it was also used for boys. The opening of the Egyptian tombs along with the 1917 silent film starring Theda Bara popularized a range of now-obscure Cleopatra diminutives, including Cleora, and Cleola.
A distinguished bearer is the British jazz singer Cleo Laine, and there have been Cleos on two TV dramas: ER and Law & Order: Special Victims Unit.
Maybe the fact that Cleo was recently chosen by Friends' David Schwimmer will ignite a welcome revival.
Sound-alike Clio is the name of the ancient Greek mythological muse of history and heroic poetry, one that is rich with modern charm and would also make an intriguing choice,
Cleo Rank in US Top 1000
20 Names Similar to Cleo
Want to keep track of your favorite names?
Create an account and you can create lists, keep track of favorites, and even be alerted when there is new content posted about a name.
Lists containing Cleo
- Badass Baby Names
- Disney Baby Names
- Soap Opera Baby Names
- Cool Names with a Strong O
- Cool Girl Names
- Baby Girl Names 2019
- Nicknames for Baby Girls
- Unique Baby Names Ending In O
- Vintage Girl Names
- Best Baby Names with No Nicknames
- Classic Girl Names That Aren't Boring
- British Baby Names
- Unique High-Energy Baby Names
- Short and Strong Girl Names
- Top Names for Cats
- Fastest-Rising Girl Names
- Attitude Names for Girls
- Badass Dog Names
- Vintage Baby Names
- Bad Girl Names
- Names That Mean Victory
- Baby Names Everyone Thinks Are Cool
- Reality TV Baby Names
- Goldfish Names
- Hipster Baby Names
- Yupster Baby Names for Girls
- Celebrity Baby Names
- Hipster British Baby Names for Girls
- Offbeat Baby Names
Famous People Named Cleo
- Cleo LaineLady Dankworth (born Clementine Dinah Bullock), English jazz singer
- Miss Cleo (born Youree Dell Harris)American psychic
- Cleopatra Madonna "Cleo" HigginsAmerican R&B singer of group Cleopatra
- Cleo Madison (born Lulu Bailey)American silent film actress
- Cléopatra Diane "Cléo" de MérodeFrench Belle Époque dancer
- Cleouna "Cleo" MooreAmerican actress
- Cleopseudonym of Clementina Cote, French neo,impressionist painter
- Cleostage name of Joanna Klepko, Polish pop singer
- Cleo PageCanadian rhythmic gymnast
- Sheila Lynne "Cleo" OdzerAmerican author
- Cleo Patra BrownAmerican jazz singer
- Cleo RocosBrazilian,British comedienne
- Cleo Pires (Ayrosa Galvão)Brazilian actress
- (Freda) Cleo (Helwig) RidgelyAmerican actress
- Cleo von Adelsheimstage name of Cleopatra Freiin von Adelsheim von Ernest, Hereditary Princess of Oettingen,Oettingen and Oettingen,Spielberg, German,Chilean actress
- Cleo Ice Queenstage name of Clementina Mulenga, Zambian rapper
- Cleopatra "Cleo" DemetriouCypriot,British actress
- Cleo Rose Elliott (b. 1984)daughter of actors Katharine Ross and Sam Elliott
- Cleo Bennett (b. 1988)daughter of designer Laura Bennett
- Cleo Buckman Schwimmer (b. 2011)daughter of actor David Schwimmer
- Cleo James Schulman (b. 2016)daughter of TV personality Nev Schulman
Cleo in Pop Culture
- Cleofish in Disney's "Pinocchio"
- Cleopurple dog in "Clifford the Big Red Dog" series
- Cleo Sertorimermaid character on Australian TV show "H2O: Just Add Water"
- Cleomain character in "Invisible Sister"
- Cleopatra "Cleo" McQueencharacter on British soap "Hollyoaks"
- Cleocharacter in "Toad Patrol"
- Cleo de Niledaughter of the mummies in "Monster High" show and series