From the experts:
Cedric was invented by Sir Walter Scott for the noble character of the hero's father in Ivanhoe, presumed to be an altered form of the Saxon name Cerdic. The name then lost some testosterone as Little Lord Fauntleroy, the long-haired, velvet-suited, and lace-collared boy hero of the Frances Hodgson Burnett book, who became an unwitting symbol of the pampered mama's boy.
Since then that stereotype has been broken principally by the handsome Harry Potter character Cedric Diggory, played by the teen-aged pre-Twilight Robert Pattinson, and it, like cousin Cecil, is at the point of being rediscovered by cutting-edge namers.
Actor and comedian Cedric the Entertainer has propelled this name into the spotlight in recent years.
16 names similar to Cedric
These 16 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Cedric. If you didn't find an alternative name that you like better than Cedric, try our name generator. It allows you to go beyond the similarities of a name, which can provide a lot of inspiration!
Lists containing Cedric
Cedric in Blog Posts
- 10th Anniversary: Nameberry Goes Global!
- Celebrity Baby Names: Ada to Zeppelin
- Magical Baby Names from Harry Potter
- Baby Names from Books: Agatha Christie characters
- Harry Potter Baby Names: Have they made a lasting impact?
- New Starbabies Born in April: Girls named Asa and Frankie, a boy named Tennessee
Cedric is #174 on Nameberry