The name Angus is a boy's name of Scottish, Scottish Gaelic origin meaning "one strength". Angus and is often added to lists like British Boy Names and discussed in our forums with posts like "Love, Like, Lose... Name Game- BOYS".
From the experts:
Angus is rapidly moving from fuddy-duddy, kilt-wearing old Scotsman to hip young American; it's definitely a plausible choice, particularly for parents whose roots go back to Glasgow. The ancient Celtic form Oenghus has important historical overtones in Scotland, and the Gaelic form Aonghas is associated with two distinguished modern poets. In Irish folklore, Angus Og is a chieftain-lord who used his magical powers for the pleasure and prosperity of mankind--and in Irish myth, Aonghus was the god of love and youth.
These days, Angus is even more popular in Australia than Scotland, possibly due to the fame of Scottish-born Australian musician Angus Young, lead guitarist and co-founder of the seminal rock band AC/DC.
Other pop culture references: Angus was the first name of TV's McGyver and the young actor who plays the half man on Two and a Half Men is Angus T. Jones. Angus Wilson was a noted British novelist and short story writer.
Lists containing Angus:
- Names That Mean Strong, Brave or Powerful
- Geek Chic Names for Boys
- British Boy Names
- Cool Boy Names From Around the World
- Best Boy Names Starting with Vowels
- Scottish Baby Names
- Baby Names That Mean Strong
- Boy Baby Names That End in S
- Scottish Names for Boys
- Cool Classic Boys’ Names — 100+ below the Top 1000
- Strong Boy Names That Mean Power
- Hipster British Baby Names for Boys
- Incredible Names for Taurus Babies
- Boy Names Uncommon in the US