Sun-drenched Summer Baby Names
Apollo was the god of many things—medicine, music, poetry- and was also the Greek god of the sun. This is one of the ancient deity names that have recently been deemed appropriate for mere mortals. Gwen Stefani and Gavin Rossdale chose it for their third son last year.
- Apollo was the god of many things—medicine, music, poetry- and was also the Greek god of the sun. This is one of the ancient deity names that have recently been deemed appropriate for mere mortals. Gwen Stefani and Gavin Rossdale chose it for their third son last year." >
- Cyrus the Great, who established the Persian Empire. Now feeling much friendlier and more modern, it was picked by Claire Danes and Hugh Dancy for their baby boy." >
- Apollo’s alternate sun god name, Helios, the young god who rode across the sky each day in a horse-drawn chariot . Other related names include Eliane and Elliana." >
- Kalinda Mountains. Americans would most likely be familiar with it via the character Kalinda Sharma on The Good Wife, played by British actress “Archie” Panjabi." >
- Orange is the New Black and Devious Maids, and is also an American Girl doll." >
- Ariana, Oriana is associated with the sunrise, emphasizing its golden aspect. She starred in several medieval tales and was sometimes used as an epithet for the first Queen Elizabeth. Oriana Fallaci was a noted Italian journalist." >
- Apollo, Phoebus could appeal to some parents because of its Latinate s-ending, and relationship to the Friends name Phoebe. It is borne by a character in Victor Hugo’s The Hunchback of Notre Dame." >
- Samson is now at its highest rank ever—Number 628, adopted by some parents who like the nickname Sam but want something less popular than Samuel." >
- French word for sun used as a baby name in Normandy, but it does have a lot of appeal for us outsiders, who first associated it with Soleil Moon Frye, back when she was Punky Brewster." >
- Sunshine has started to come out from behind the clouds, especially since she’s appeared on Glee. It actually ranked as high as Number 536 in 1975, the same year that nickname Sunny was at 542." >
- Surya means ‘sun’ in Sanskrit and is used primarily for boys in India, though outstanding French-American figure skating champion Surya Bonaly is female." >
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.
on June 26th, 2015 at 12:32 am
I like Apollo, Elio, Marisol, and Samson. My cat’s name is Apollo, but I like it for kids too. I used to like Cyrus, but it feels overused now.
(2 side notes– Helios is not an alternate name for Apollo. They were two separate gods in Greek myth (The god of the sun was Helios, not Apollo, though they are often conflated). Also, Les Mis isn’t a version of Hunchback, it’s a separate novel. I’ve never read it, but I don’t know of a character in Les Mis named Phoebus.)
on June 26th, 2015 at 7:03 am
Marisol does not mean “sea and sun” or “combine the elements of sea and sun.” Yes, both words are part of the name, but it is a contracted form of María de la Soledad or María Soledad. María de los Ángeles has the form Mariángeles, María Teresa has the short form Maritere, etc.
on June 26th, 2015 at 8:30 am
Well, even on a crummy day I suppose I can still say – thank god my parents didn’t name me Sunshine. Thank you, Nameberry, for giving me some perspective. Back to work 🙂
on June 26th, 2015 at 9:38 am
Great list. My personal favorites are Cyrus, Marisol (nn Maris), and Sunniva (nn Sunny).
on June 26th, 2015 at 2:58 pm
Yikes, I thought I would love summery names, but the only ones I liked are Marisol and Samson (though I have pleasant shiny black dog associations with Samson, seems more canine than human).
I guess it comes down to me not caring in the slightest what a name means, but instead what it looks and sounds like and conveys.
So my summery name list includes:
Any flower that blooms in summer (Zinnia, Marigold, Begonia, Geranium, Fuchsia, Gardenia, Rosemary, Gladiola, Anemone to name a few)
Tree names for males (Linden, Elm, Birch, etc.)
Names that sound or mean happy like Felicity and Hilary
May, June, July, August
Sparkling stone/gem names
Nature names (Cove, Tide, Ocean, Pacific, Field, Meadow, Lark, Prairie, etc.)
on June 27th, 2015 at 5:36 pm
Strand for a boy.
on June 27th, 2015 at 6:36 pm
I’m surprised the obvious name “Somer/Summer” isn’t on here. I’m starting to not mind it.
on July 29th, 2015 at 12:19 am
I adore Samson, particularly as my great grandfather’s name was Samuel, so it could honour him. I also love Idalia, Marisol and Oriana.
Baby Name News of the Week – Baby Name Blog – Nameberry Said
on May 31st, 2017 at 10:41 pm
[…] around the corner! If you’re looking for name inspiration for a summer baby, what about these sun-drenched names, or names inspired by the zodiac at this time of […]
leave a reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.