Anglicized variation of Welsh Dewi, nickname of Dafydd"beloved"
Dewey Origin and Meaning
The name Dewey is boy's name of Welsh origin meaning "beloved".
Not heard since the 1980s, Dewey shot into the Top 20 in 1898 thanks to the popularity of Spanish-American War naval hero Admiral George Dewey. Dewey has subtle links to his Welsh roots and relation to father name David . The name was borne by the fifth century St. Dewi, patron saint of Wales. Later references include the namesake of the library Dewey Decimal System, a Donald Duck nephew, the younger brother on Malcolm in the Middle and Lemony Snicket character Dewey Denouement. It has a strong but dewy feel and is appealing enough to be ripe for a modern revival.
20 Names Similar to Dewey
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Dewey.
Famous People Named Dewey
- Thomas Edmund Dewey (19021971), 47th governor of New York (1943,54)
- Dewey Nicksphotographer and film director (born George Dewey Nicks III)
- Dewey Readmore Booksa library cat from Spencer, Iowa who lived from 1987,2006
Dewey in Pop Culture
- Dewey Denouementsub,sub,librarian, noble volunteer, triplet, and one of the managers of Hotel Denouement in "The Penultimate Peril" by Lemony Snicket
- Dewey Finnmain character in "School of Rock"
- Deweyyounger brother of Malcolm, Reese, and Francis in "Malcolm in the Middle"
- "Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story"
- Dewey Duckone of Donald Duck's nephews
- Dewey Decimal Systemlibrary cataloging/classification system
- Dwight "Dewey" Rileycharacter in the "Scream" franchise
- Dewey Dell Bundrenfemale character in William Faulkner's "As I Lay Dying"