Samara Origin and Meaning
The name Samara is a girl's name of Hebrew origin meaning "under God's rule, companion in night conversation".
Alluring and lovely — and much more distinctive now than Samantha or Tamara. Samara is a city in western Russia, a winged seed like the whirlygigs that fall from maple trees, as well as a bona fide first name that could make a more unusual update on Samantha or Mara. It can also be a variant spelling of the Arabic name Samira or Sameera.
# 350 in the US
Samara Rank in US Top 1000
20 Names Similar to Samara
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Samara.
Lists containing Samara
- Names to Substitute for Samantha
- Names to Substitute for Sarah
- Unique Baby Names: Unusual and Rare
- Girl Names That Peaked in 2018
- Place Names for Babies
- Unique Girl Names Ending with A
- Spooky Halloween Baby Names
- City Names for Babies
- Coolated Girls' Names
- Sci-Fi Baby Names
- Fastest-Rising Names on Nameberry
- Hebrew Baby Names
- Toddlers & Tiaras Baby Names
Famous People Named Samara
- Samara LubelskiAmerican musician
- Samara Lee AshAmerican child beauty queen on TV's "Toddlers and Tiaras"
- Samara WeavingAustralian actress; niece of actor Hugo Weaving
- Samara Felippo (Santana)Brazilian actress
Samara in Pop Culture
- Samara Morgan/Samara Osoriocharacter in movie "The Ring"
- Samaraan Asari Justicar from the Mass Effect video games
- Samara Cookcharacter on TV's "Pretty Little Liars"
- Samaraa Frank Lloyd Wright building
- The word "samara" has been used in English as the name of the winged fruit of the elmash, or sycamore since the 16th century. Latin samara means "seed of the elm" from semen "seed."
- Samara is also the Latin name of the River Sommeand almost certainly, therefore, the name of a goddess associated with it.
- A Samara is the winged the fruit of the maple treeoften referred to as whirlybirds or helicopters in slang terms.
Find your type.
Analyze your Baby Name DNA and find the names that match your unique style.