Patience Origin and Meaning
Common in the seventeenth century, Patience is the eponymous heroine of a Gilbert & Sullivan comic operetta. In literature, Patience appears in Shakespeare's Henry VIII and in an Anthony Trollope novel.
In the 2004 film Catwoman, the non-superhero name of the protagonist, played by Halle Berry, is Patience Phillips--which may have caused the name's bump in popularity two years later.
20 Names Similar to Patience
Want to keep track of your favorite names?
Create an account and you can create lists, keep track of favorites, and even be alerted when there is new content posted about a name.
Lists containing Patience
- Vintage Girl Names
- Classic Girl Names That Aren't Boring
- Best Two Syllable Names
- Best Two Syllable Girl Names
- Shakespeare Baby Names
- Best Middle Names
- Unique Vintage Names for Girls
- Vintage Baby Names
- Victorian Girl Names
- Good Girl Names
- Cool Classic Girl Names — 100+ below the Top 1000
- Delicious Thanksgiving Names
- Cool Vintage Baby Names
- Names with Inspirational Meanings
- Cool Baby Names That Start With P
- Middle Names for Girls
- Girl Names That End With S
- Middle Names with Meaning
- Coolated Girls' Names
- Colonial Names for Girls
- Virtue Names
Famous People Named Patience
- Patience Jane WheatcroftBaroness Wheatcroft, English journalist and politician
- Patience Ann McIntyreAmerican singer of duo Prudence & Patience, with sister Prudence Ann McIntyre
- Patience Marie Josephine Kama Dabanysinger and former First Lady of Gabon
- Patience CooperIndian silent film actress
- Patience KemperAmerican child actress
- Patience Hodgsonlead singer of Australian band The Grates
Patience in Pop Culture
- "Patience" novel by Daniel Clowes
- Patience Bucknercharacter in the movie "Cabin in the Woods"
- Patiencecharacter on TV's "Firefly"
- Remember Patience "Mem" Whipplecharacter in the Dear America book series
- Patience MuffetEnglish girl who may have inspired the nursery rhyme Little Miss Muffet
- Patience Phillipscharacter in movie "Catwoman"
- "Patience" song by Guns N Roses
- "Patience" song by Take That
- "Patience; orBunthorne's Bride," opera by Gilbert & Sullivan
- Patience "Patsy" Mountcharacter on TV's "Call the Midwife"
- Patience Merlyncharacter from Daphne du Maurier's "Jamaica Inn"
- Patience Turnercharacter in Supernatural and it's spin,off; Wayward Sisters