The name Nell is a girl's name of English origin meaning "bright, shining one". Nell and is often added to lists like Vintage Baby Names for Girls and discussed in our forums with posts like "Girls Makeover - Two Middles".
From the experts:
Nell, once a nickname for Helen, Ellen, or Eleanor, is a sweet old-fashioned charmer that is fashionably used today in its own right. While Nell is perfectly in tune with contemporary vintage name style, it hasn't taken off the way some of its sisters have and so maintains an air of distinction. Use Nell or Nellie as a short for any name from Eleanor to Penelope or just name her Nell.
Nell was the pet name FDR called his wife Eleanor (along with Babs), the famous Little Nell in Dickens' Old Curiosity Shop was Elinor, and the infamous mistress of Charles II, Nell Gwynne, was born Eleanor as well.
Nell was the belle of the ball in the Gay Nineties, but has been off the charts since 1956. It's currently popular in France though, ranking at Number 144.
Jodie Foster played the title character of the 1994 movie Nell, and Helena Bonham Carter and Tim Burton named their daughter Nell, keeping the family tradition of names related to Helen.
Lists containing Nell:
- Unusual Antique Baby Names
- Yupster Baby Names for Girls
- Nicknames for Baby Girls
- If You Like Danielle, You Might Love...
- 206 Inspirational Baby Names That Mean Hope
- Vintage Baby Names for Girls
- Cool Classic Girls’ Names — 100+ below the Top 1000
- Baby Girl Names to Love Right Now
- Popular English Girls' Names
- Rustic Baby Names
- Hipster British Baby Names for Girls
- Bohemian Baby Names
- Urban Prairie Names
- Popular Nicknames
- 168 Radiant Names That Mean Light
- 167 Beautiful Bohemian Names for Girls