The name Millicent is a girl's name of German origin meaning "strong in work". Millicent and is often added to lists like Old Lady Names and discussed in our forums with posts like "This or That?------------girls!".
From the experts:
Combining the mild and the innocent, this sweet and feminine name is worthy of a comeback, in the mode of Madeline and Cecilia. Its original, also attractive form is Melisende, which came from Germany to France and was borne by a daughter of Charlemagne.
Millicent has been in use since the Middle Ages, and was in the Top 500 in the 1920's. Off the list since the early sixties, it's Number 361 on Nameberry.
Millicent Hargrave is a character in Anne Bronte's The Tenant of Wildfell Hall and Millicent Henning is found in Henry James's The Princess Casamassima, and she appears not once but twice in Harry Potter; she is is also Barbie's middle name.
And of course Milly is one of the cutest of the nostalgic nickname names. .
Lists containing Millicent:
- Unusual Antique Baby Names
- If You Like Josephine, You Might Love...
- Baby Names with Uplifting Meanings
- Old Lady Names
- If You Like Melissa, You Might Love...
- Unusual Baby Names
- Baby Names That Mean Strong
- Names from Harry Potter
- Cool Classic Girls’ Names — 100+ below the Top 1000
- Strong Baby Girl Names
- Stylish Girls' Names That End in Consonants
- Hipster British Baby Names for Girls