The name Maude is a girl's name of German origin meaning "battle-mighty". Maude and is often added to lists like Cool Girls' Names—Rare, Unique and Unusual and discussed in our forums with posts like "Sibset the Previous Signature".
From the experts:
Maude, also spelled Maud, is a lacy, mauve-tinted name that was wildly popular a hundred years ago, but has been rarely heard in the past fifty. Some stylish parents are starting to choose it again, especially as a middle.
Maud's early popularity was influenced by the Tennyson poem that included the oft-quoted line, "Come into the garden, Maude." Then, in the 1970's, along came the sitcom Maude, featuring the vociferous and opinionated character Maude Finlay, putting a very different spin on the name. But enough decades have now passed for the name to have settled back into its soft, sweet pastel image.
The Maud spelling has British royal associations via the daughter of Edward VII, who later became Queen of Norway; Maud Gonne was a famous Irish political activist.
Lists containing Maude:
- Unusual Antique Baby Names
- Names That Mean Strong, Brave or Powerful
- Names with Military Meanings
- Yupster Baby Names for Girls
- Movie Character Names
- Old Lady Names
- One-Syllable Middle Names for Girls
- Cool Girls' Names—Rare, Unique and Unusual
- Old-Fashioned Baby Names
- Middle Names for Girls
- Stylish Girls' Names That End in Consonants
- Hipster British Baby Names for Girls
- Middle Names