Maire Origin and Meaning
The name Maire is a girl's name of Irish origin meaning "sweet; drop of the sea, bitter".
Both Maire and Mare have begun making inroads with parents seeking novel yet authentic ways of honoring an ancestral Mary. The Finnish variation derives from the word mairea, meaning "sweet."
20 Names Similar to Maire
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Maire.
Want to keep track of your favorite names?
Create an account and you can create lists, keep track of favorites, and even be alerted when there is new content posted about a name.
Lists containing Maire
Famous People Named Maire
- Máire Philomena Ní Bhraonáinbirth name of Moya Brennan, Irish singer formerly of Clannad
- Máire Pheter Uí DhroighneáinIrish actress and singer
- Maire O'Neill (born Mary Agnes Allgood)Irish actress
- Máire Ní Chinnáide aka Molly O'KennedyIrish language activist and camogie player
- Máire Ní ChathasaighIrish harpist and singer
- Máire Mhac an tSaoiIrish language activist and poet
- Máire HoctorIrish politician
- Máire MacSwiney BrughaIrish activist and author
- Máire "Molly" GillIrish activist and camogie player
- Máire GeogheganQuinn, Irish European commissioner
- Máire BreatnachIrish fiddler
- Maire AunasteEstonian TV journalist
- Máire Nic ShiubhlaighIrish activist and actress
Maire in Pop Culture
- Mairesiren in "Atlantia" by Ally Condie