Herman Origin and Meaning
The name Herman is a boy's name of German origin meaning "soldier, warrior".
It's hard to believe now that Herman was once, at the turn of the last century, a Top 50 name, remaining in the Top 100 until 1935, and even harder to imagine it making a comeback. But then again, our parents thought the same thing about Max and Jake. Consider the French Armand or Spanish Armando instead. Notable bearers include writers Herman Melville and Hermann Hesse--and then there was TV's Herman Munster.
20 Names Similar to Herman
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Herman.
Lists containing Herman
- Names with Military Meanings
- Victorian Boy Names
- Forever Geeky Names
- Top 1910s Baby Names
- Urban Prairie Names
- Top 1900s Baby Names
- Names That Mean Warrior, Soldier, or Knight
- Old People Names
- Old Man Names
Famous People Named Herman
- Herman MelvilleAmerican novelist
- Herman HollerithAmerican inventor
- Herman CainAmerican businessman, author and politician
- Herman Eugene TalmadgeSr., American senator and governor of Georgia
- Herman AchilleCount Van Rompuy, former Prime Minister of Belgium
- Saint Herman of AlaskaRussian Orthodox missionary
- Herman 'Ze German' Rarebelldrummer for German band Scorpions
- Herman IDuke of Swabia
- HermanMargrave of Brandenburg,Salzwedel
- Herman IMargrave of Meissen
- Herman Heine GoldstineAmerican computer scientist
- Herman KleinEnglish music critic and author
- Herman KountzeAmerican banking pioneer
- Herman WoukAmerican novelist
- Herman Jacob MankiewiczAmerican screenwriter
- Herman MooreAmerican former college and professional football player
Herman in Pop Culture
- Herman Crabcharacter from video game 'Ace Attorney'
- Herman Munstercharacter from the TV series "The Munsters"
- Herman Brooksmain character on TV's "Herman's Head"
- Baby Hermancharacter in movie "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?"
- Herman Wellscharacter from movie "Kinsey"
- Herman Hermanncharacter on TV's "The Simpsons," owner of Herman's Military Antiques
- Hermanmain character in Tchaikovsky's opera "The Queen of Spades"
- Herman Mellevillemonster in "Doug's 1st Movie"
- Herman I Vermincharacter created by American cartoonist Marc Hempel
- Herman Toothrotcharacter in computer game Monkey Island
- Herman Dietrichcharacter in the Indiana Jones film Raiders of the Lost Ark
- "Herman" comic strip by Jim Unger
- Herman and Katnipanimated cat and mouse duo
- Herman's HermitsEnglish band
- Peewee Herman, character played by American actor Paul Reubens
- Herman Postmailman in the Garfield comic strip/Franchise & on "Garfield and Friends"
- Herman Vermincharacter in the Garfield comic strip, Herman is a mouse who moved into Garfield's house in 1999. Herman was first named in 1999 even though he made his first appearances on July 29,1998 and July 30,1998. In the comic it is revealed Herman has a wife and kids, and does not like his brother in law. Herman made appearances in 1999, 2000, 2002, and 2006.
More Lists containing Herman
- German Names
- German Names for Boys
- 6 Letter Boy Names
- Boy Names Ending in N
- Names That Mean Warrior
- Two Syllable Names for Boys
- Names that Peaked in 1886
- Names that Peaked in 1893
Find your type.
Analyze your Baby Name DNA and find the names that match your unique style.