The name Elspeth is a girl's name of Scottish origin meaning "pledged to God". Elspeth and is often added to lists like Cool Girls' Names—Rare, Unique and Unusual and discussed in our forums with posts like "Names on NB that make you go WOW!".
From the experts:
Elspeth is one of those names that never quite made it out of the British Isles--particularly Scotland, but possesses a winningly childlike charm. Elspeth was used by Sir Walter Scott for several of his female characters.
Elspeth Huxley was a prolific Kenyan-born U.K. writer, best known for the autobiographical The Flame Trees of Thika--she was connected by marriage to the illustrous Huxley family.
A close cousin is Elsbeth, as in the recurring character Elsbeth Tascioni on The Good Wife. Embeth is a more distant relation.
Lists containing Elspeth:
- International Variations of Elizabeth
- British Girl Names
- Best Girl Names Starting with Vowels
- Unique Baby Names for Girls and Boys
- Cool Girls' Names—Rare, Unique and Unusual
- Scottish Baby Names
- Exotic Lite Baby Names
- Scottish Names for Girls
- Unique Baby Girl Names
- Stylish Girls' Names That End in Consonants
- Hipster British Baby Names for Girls