The name Elspeth is a girl's name of Scottish origin meaning "pledged to God". Elspeth and is often added to lists like Unique Girl Names: Unusual and Rare and discussed in our forums with posts like "Girls Makeover - Two Middles".
From the experts:
Elspeth is one of those names that never quite made it out of the British Isles--particularly Scotland, but possesses a winningly childlike charm. Elspeth was used by Sir Walter Scott for several of his female characters.
Elspeth Huxley was a prolific Kenyan-born U.K. writer, best known for the autobiographical The Flame Trees of Thika--she was connected by marriage to the illustrous Huxley family.
A close cousin is Elsbeth, as in the recurring character Elsbeth Tascioni on The Good Wife. Embeth is a more distant relation.
Lists containing Elspeth:
- International Variations of Elizabeth
- British Girl Names
- Best Girl Names Starting with Vowels
- Unique Baby Names: Unusual and Rare
- Unique Girl Names: Unusual and Rare
- Scottish Baby Names
- Exotic Lite Baby Names
- Scottish Names for Girls
- Unique Baby Girl Names
- Stylish Girls' Names That End in Consonants
- Hipster British Baby Names for Girls