Earl Origin and Meaning
The name Earl is a boy's name of English origin.
Earl is a title name - brought to England by the vikings - that's out of fashion right now, unlike King and Duke. Its peak popularity was in the 1920s, which gives it a dusty great-grandpa feel, but there are also younger Earls in pop culture, like the reformed criminal in "My Name is Earl".
20 Names Similar to Earl
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Earl.
Want to keep track of your favorite names?
Create an account and you can create lists, keep track of favorites, and even be alerted when there is new content posted about a name.
Lists containing Earl
Famous People Named Earl
- Earl WarrenU.S. Supreme Court justice and governor of California
- Earl Kemp LongAmerican politician, governor of Louisiana
- Earl Joseph WatsonAmerican professional basketballer
- Earl Simmons aka DMXAmerican rapper
- Earl Eugene ScruggsAmerican bluegrass musician
- Earl William HebnerAmerican pro wrestling referee
- Earl W. BascomAmerican painter
- Earl "Curly" LambeauAmerican founder of the Green Bay Packers NFL team
- Earl Woodsfather of golfer Tiger Woods
- James Earl JonesAmerican actor
- Wentworth Earl MillerAmerican actor
Earl in Pop Culture
- "Goodbye Earl" song by The Dixie Chicks
- Earl Hickeymain character on TV's "My Name Is Earl"
- Earl Sneed Sinclaircharacter on TV's "Dinosaurs"
- Earl Kinsellacharacter on TV's "Hart of Dixie"
- Earl McKeevercharacter on TV's "American Gothic"
- Earlnickname of a car on TV's "MythBusters"
- Earl Bassettcharacter in movie "Tremors"
- "Big" Earlcharacter in video game series ToeJam & Earl
- Earlcharacter in animated series "Rocko's Modern Life"
- Earl Harlancharacter in Welcome to Night Vale
- Earl of Grantham from the TV show Downton Abbey
- E.A.R.L.short for Electronic Automatic Robotic Lighthouse, is a system that controls an automated lighthouse in Springfield.
- in an episode of "The Simpsons" from 1997 titled "El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer(The Mysterious Voyage of Homer)
- Earlalien rapper from the "Toejam & Earl" video games for Sega Genesis, ToeJam is red and has three legs. Earl is fat and orange.
- Earl Grey teaa special blend of tea , on Star Trek: The Next Generation Captain Jean,Luc Picard would order his Tea, "Tea, Earl Grey, Hot"