The name Cole is a boy's name of English origin meaning "swarthy, coal black". Cole is ranked #110 on our popularity charts and is often added to lists like Creative Baby Names: Inspired by Artists and discussed in our forums with posts like "A brother or sister for little Jack or Olivia".
From the experts:
Cole -- a short name that embodies a lot of richness and depth -- has long been associated with the great songwriter Cole Porter. Currently, Cole, which has been on a roll since the mid-90s, is holding on to its steady popularity, now at Number 110. It's even more popular in Scotland.
Old King Cole -- which refers to a real British king -- is familiar to all kids. Cole was the name of the child in The Sixth Sense and was also the name of -- sorry -- the notorious outlaw Cole Younger, who was born Thomas Coleman.
Lists containing Cole:
- Baby Names with No Nicknames
- If You Like Nicholas, You Might Love...
- Yupster Baby Names for Boys
- Creative Baby Names: Inspired by Artists
- Musician Baby Names
- If You Like Cody, You Might Love...
- If You Like Kyle, You Might Love...
- One-Syllable Middle Names for Boys
- Dark Baby Names
- New York Baby Names
- Rock Star Baby Names
- English Names for Boys
- Black Cat Names