Cohen Origin and Meaning
The name Cohen is a boy's name of Hebrew, Jewish origin meaning "priest".
Cohen is a common last name among Jews and a royal name in the Jewish religion, standing for someone who is the priest in a temple. Cohen is now gaining an unlikely following as a first name among people unaware of its religious heritage, possibly because of the character Seth on TV's The O.C. who was commonly called by his last name Cohen. While many may be attracted to the name's fresh, modern, strong sound, you should be aware that its use as a first name may be offensive to some on religious grounds. Forms Coen, Koen, Cowan, and other spellings may stem from different sources.
# 300 in the US
Cohen Rank in US Top 1000
20 Names Similar to Cohen
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Cohen.
Lists containing Cohen
Famous People Named Cohen
- Cohen BramallEnglish footballer
- Cohen GriffithGuyanese footballer
- Cohen Saunders (b. 2009)stepson of golfer Sam Palmer Saunders
Cohen in Pop Culture
- Cohen the Barbarian aka Ghenghiz Cohencharacter in Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels
- Seth Cohencharacter on "the O.C."