The name Abner is a boy's name of Hebrew origin meaning "father of light.". Abner and is often added to lists like Unique Boy Names and discussed in our forums with posts like "Name Association Game".
From the experts:
This neglected Biblical name--it was the name of the commander of Saul's army and appears twice in the New Testament--is ready to flee Dogpatch. It was regularly used in the nineteenth century, but was pretty much demolished by the long-running hillbilly comic strip L'il Abner, which began in 1934 and ran through 1977. A more respectable namesake is Abner Doubleday, who has been credited with inventing baseball.
Abner also has literary credentials, having appeared in works by James Fenimore Cooper, Thomas Hardy and Eugene O'Neill.
Lists containing Abner:
- Cool Bible Baby Names
- 165 Cool Names for Winter Babies
- If You Like Adam, You Might Love...
- Geek Chic Names for Boys
- Vowel Baby Names for Boys
- Colonial Names for Boys
- If You Like Aaron, You Might Love...
- If You Like Jacob, You Might Love...
- Colonial Craftsmen Names
- A+ Baby Names
- Bible Names for Boys
- Cool Classic Boys’ Names — 100+ below the Top 1000
- Unique Boy Names
- 74 Magical Names for December Babies