Notable Names of Famous Fathers

Sometimes the names of the fathers who sired future super achievers turn out to be a lot more interesting than those they bestowed on their progeny. For example, Truman Capote’s dad’s name was Archulus, Humphrey Bogart’s was Belmont, Bela Lugosi’s Istvan and Marc Chagall’s Khatskel. Intriguing appellations, yes, but we’ll go here with the more wearable ones.

Augustine Washington

Picture 1 of 12

George Washington’s father was a Virginia Colony-born tobacco planter. Augustine, the influential saint’s name, snuck back onto the 2012 Top 1000 list at Number 999, after being in limbo for decades, perhaps slip-sliding in the wake of the growing popularity of August.

* indicates required

comments

7 Responses to “Notable Names of Famous Fathers”

maggiemary Says:

June 14th, 2013 at 7:30 am

I absolutely love Augustine, Cassius, Elias, Josiah and Justus.

My own dad’s name is Samuel, which I also love, especially as it doesn’t seem much like a “dad” name. Among my friends’ dads, there are many called John, Robert, Richard and Anthony (among others), but my dad is the only Samuel. I like that!

Mischa Says:

June 14th, 2013 at 10:28 am

There are some wonderful names on this blog. I love Augustine, Cassius, Cornelius, Elias, Francis and Josiah. I’m not crazy about Clyde and Squire as a first names. Ross is a family name for me. The name of Ingrid Bergman’s father Justus would be pronounced something like “YOO-stoos” rather than like the English word Justice.

UniqueNameLover Says:

June 14th, 2013 at 12:13 pm

Cassius and Clyde are awesome. Elias is nice.

bounceparty Says:

June 14th, 2013 at 2:58 pm

Another notable father is Otto Frank (father of Anne Frank). I think with the whole O-name trend lately, Otto definitely deserves another look.

AnuthriumInvidia Says:

June 15th, 2013 at 10:40 pm

My father’s name is Eldon George. A name you don’t hear too much. He was named after his mother Elda and father George.

KateMP91 Says:

June 16th, 2013 at 2:05 pm

I like the surnames and middles that weren’t in the spotlight in this blog post! Waring and Morrison are just awesome, in my opinion 😉 Happy Father’s Day!

tori101 Says:

June 17th, 2013 at 4:32 pm

Really interesting! Some great names – I adore Augustine, Elias, Josiah, Francis, and Clyde for example.

Love that bounceparty mentioned Otto Frank; Otto is a great choice.