In her never-ending search for interesting names, Appellation Mountain‘s Abby Sandel tuned into the Country Music Awards and reports here on what she uncovered.
If you ask me, I’ll insist I don’t like country music.
Except that you’ll find
and Johnny Cash Cline and Patsy on my iPod. Emmylou Harris
Clearly, I’m in denial. When the Academy of Country
Music presented their awards earlier this month, I tuned in. Sure enough, there was an entire category of names I’d overlooked.
There are some great choices in Nashville’s past: legends like
, Loretta , Dolly , and Merle . But the current crop of recording artists wears names that are just a little bit country. They’re equally stylish in suburban New Hank Jersey or rural Tennessee.
His rise has been attributed to MTV’s Bentley – Teen Mom and the pricey ride, but country star Dierks Bentley gives it a different spin.
– As in singer Blake Blake Shelton. I’m fascinated by his middle: Tollison.
– You might remember the name from the Coy Dukes of , but today he’s worn by a member of the successful Hazzard Zac Brown Band.
– The former frontman of Hootie & the Blowfish has transitioned to a successful country music career. Darius
– The newcomer’s surname, Easton , might work, too. Corbin
There’s the Jackson – song, and also hitmaker Johnny Cash Alan Jackson.
– Husband and wife duo Kiefer and Kiefer Shawna form Thompson Thompson Square. Proof that the name doesn’t have to pair with the surname Sutherland. – Along with siblings Reid and Kimberly , Neil is a member of The Band Reid Perry.
– Husband and wife duo Rory + Joey will have you guessing who’s who. Rory Joey is the missus.
– Trace Louisiana’s Adkins, born Trace , has helped reclaim the name for boys. Tracy
– First there was tweenage heartthrob Zac Efron, now there’s much-nominated Zac Brown. In an age of and Max , why not just Gus Zac, too?
The singer’s full name is the unexpected Ashton – . Ashton Delilah Shepherd
The most successful Carrie – American Idol to date.
– Gentry Troy Gentry is one-half of duo Montgomery Gentry. The surname could appeal to parents who love and Jennifer , but want something a little bit different. Genevieve
– Martina McBride’s long career has yet to boost her saintly given name. Martina
– The Miranda Nashville alum Star Miranda Lambert puts a different spin on her literary appellation.
– Paisley is solidly in dad name territory, but this singer’s surname is catching on for girls. Brad
– A choice from the 1920s and 30s, now almost owned by Reba Reba McEntire. It could make an unexpected short form for . Rebecca
– Sunny Texas native Sunny Sweeney shares her name with Sandler’s younger daughter. Adam
– From the duo The Susie Dear Girls. Jane
Which names have I overlooked? And would you choose a baby name from the Billboard Country charts
Read & Post Comments