Ransom Origin and Meaning
The name Ransom is boy's name of English origin meaning "shield's son".
Ransom may be rakish and handsome, but it carries an unavoidable association with holding someone for ransom. But that kind of bad boy image might be exactly what attracts you to Ransom in the first place. While Ransom feels like a modern appellation ala Breaker or Ranger, it's interesting to note on the popularity chart that it was actually quite popular at the end of the 19th century but fell off the Top 1000 around 1930.
20 Names Similar to Ransom
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Ransom.
Famous People Named Ransom
- Ransom RiggsAmerican novelist
- Ransom Eli OldsAmerican automaker; founder of Oldsmobile
- Ransom Aldrich "Ram" MyersAmerican biologist
- Ransom Asa MooreAmerican agronomist
- Ransom WilsonAmerican flutist
- Ransom Ashleyphotographer and actor
- Stewart Ransom "Rhett" Millerlead singer of American band The Old 97s
- Bodhi Ransom Greenson of American actors Megan Fox and Brian Austin Green
- Cody RansomAmerican baseball player
- Terrell Louis RansomJr., American actor
Ransom in Pop Culture
- Elwin Ransommain character in the "Space Trilogy" by C.S. Lewis
- Ransom Stoddardcharacter in "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance"
- Justin "Ransom" Oluransicharacter in the web comic "Check, Please!"
- Hugh Ransom Drysdaleknown as Ransom, from the film "Knives Out"
- A ransom is payment demanded or money paid for the release of a hostage.