Oswald Origin and Meaning
The name Oswald is boy's name of English origin meaning "divine power".
Despite the success of so many O-starting boys names--Oliver, Owen, Otis, Oscar--Oswald has not yet shown any signs of resurrection, though he does have the animating nicknames Ozzie/Ozzy and Oz. The name has some literary cred--in Chaucer's Canterbury Tales, Shakespeare's King Lear and a novel by H. G.Wells--and there was early cartoon character Oswald the Lucky Rabbit.
20 Names Similar to Oswald
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Oswald.
Lists containing Oswald
- Names to Substitute for Oscar
- Bold Bohemian Names for Boys
- Shakespeare Baby Names
- Scorpio Baby Names
- Victorian Boy Names
- Hipster Baby Names
- Names with Good Meanings
- February Baby Names
- Powerful Boy Names
- Cool Boy Names From Ancient Cultures
- Steampunk Baby Names
- Names That Mean Miracle, Heavenly, or Divine
- Names That Mean Strong, Brave or Powerful
- Old People Names
- Old-Fashioned Baby Names
- Old Man Names
- Saint Names
- Victorian Names from the 1800s
- Old-Fashioned Boy Names
- Old-Fashioned Names
- Charming Easter Baby Names
- Rabbit Names
Famous People Named Oswald
- Saint OswaldKing of Northumbria
- Oswald Ernald Mosley6th Baronet of Ancoats, founder of the British Union of Fascists
- Oswald Arnold Gottfried SpenglerGerman historian
- Oswald ChambersScottish evangelist and teacher
- Oswald BoelckeGerman WWI flying ace
- Oswald of WorcesterArchbishop of York
- Oswald VeblenAmerican mathematician
- Oswald Theodore Avery Jr.Canadian,American physician and DNA researcher
- Lee Harvey Oswaldassassin of U.S. President John F. Kennedy
Oswald in Pop Culture
- Oswald the Lucky Rabbitearly Disney character
- Oswald Chesterfield Cobblepot aka The Penguinvillain in the Batman series
- Oswald Hamleycharacter in "Wives and Daughters" by Elizabeth Gaskell
- Oswald Sydenhamcharacter in "Joan and Peter" by H.G. Wells
- Oswald Lee Harveycharacter on "The Drew Carey Show"
- Oswald Bastablecharacter in novels by E. Nesbit
- OswaldGoneril's steward in Shakespeare's King Lear
- "Oswald" animated series about an octopus
- Oswald Alvingcharacter in Henrik Ibsen’s 1881 play “Ghosts”
- Oswald StandishLord Chiltern, character in Anthony Trollope's "Palliser" series
- Oswald "Otto" Rocketcharacter from animated series "Rocket Power"
- Oswaldcharacter from TV series "Warehouse 13"
- Oswaldcharacter in the video game "Odin Sphere" (2007)
- Oswald Forstermain character in G. A. Henty's "Both Sides the Border"
- Oswald Mandusmain character in video game ''Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs''
- Oswin Oswaldcharacter on TV's "Doctor Who"
- Clara Oswaldcharacter on TV's "Doctor Who"