German variation of Leonora, Italian derivative of Eleonora, meaning unknown
Lenore Origin and Meaning
The name Lenore is girl's name of German, Greek origin.
A "modernization" of Leonora that has suddenly come back on the radar along with the many other Leo names--both male and female. With literary cred via a famous eponymous poem by Edgar Allan Poe (and also in his even more famous The Raven,) Lenore was steadily in the top half of the popularity list until the mid-fifties, falling off in 1973. Cameron Diaz played a Lenore in The Green Hornet.
20 Names Similar to Lenore
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Lenore.
Famous People Named Lenore
- Lenore SkenazyAmerican journalist and author
- Lenore LaFount Romneyactress and mother of American politician Mitt Romney
- Lenore Elizabeth ZannAmerican actress
- Lenore Tawney (born Leonora Agnes Gallagher)American fiber artist
- Lenore Guinzberg MarshallAmerican poet
- Sutton Lenore FosterAmerican actress
Lenore in Pop Culture
- "Lenore" poem by E.A. Poe
- Lenorealso mentioned in Poe's "The Raven" as the lost love of the narrator
- "LenoreThe Cute Little Dead Girl," black comedy comic series created by Roman Dirge; inspired by Poe
- "Lenore" German ballad by Gottfried August Burger
- Lenore La Vernestage name of Elly Chiply (actress, who marries Harold Westbrook) in the Edna Ferber novel "Show Boat" (1926)
- Lenorecharacter in children's book "Many Moons" by James Thurber
- Lenore Casecharacter in the 2011 movie "The Green Hornet"