German surname and literary name"from Gaddesby"
Gatsby Origin and Meaning
The name Gatsby is a boy's name of German origin meaning "from Gaddesby".
Gatsby is one of the most famous literary surnames, borne by the titular character of F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby. The book's Jay Gatsby gussied up his surname from Gatz, whose meaning is given variously as left-handed, cat, God, and person from Gat. As a first name, it's got a lot of energy and that great literary pedigree.
# 673 on Nameberry
Gatsby Rank in Nameberry Top 1000
20 Names Similar to Gatsby
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Gatsby.
Famous People Named Gatsby
- Gatsby Richard Smith (b. 1999)son of actor Rex Smith
- Gatsby James Finch (b. 2013)son of bassist Roxanne Galliano of The Modern Commune Kids
- Gatsby Willem Hollingsworth (b. 2018) son of Ben Hollingsworth
Gatsby in Pop Culture
- Jay Gatsbymain character of the novel "The Great Gatsby" by F. Scott Fitzgerald turned movie
- *English surnamea different form of Gadsby, meaning "person from Gaddesby" (a place in Leicestershire meaning "Gaddr's farmstead")