Greek"she who brings victory"
Berenice Origin and Meaning
The name Berenice is girl's name of Greek origin meaning "she who brings victory".
A name with a surprising amount of history--it was the name of the wife of Ptolemy I of Egypt, occurs in the New Testament, and belonged to a fourth century saint. In the US, it has long been spelled and pronounced Bernice. Nicknames include Bernie, Berry, Binnie and Bunny.
20 Names Similar to Berenice
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Berenice.
Famous People Named Berenice
- Berenice IIII, queens of Egypt
- Berenice IVsister of Cleopatra VII, the last pharaoh of Egypt
- Berenice of Cilicia1st century Queen of Judaea
- Berenice (born Bernice) AbbottAmerican photographer
- Berenice BejoFrench actress
- Berenice Lim MarloheFrench actress
- Berenice SydneyEnglish painter
- MaéBérénice Méité, French figure skater
Berenice in Pop Culture
- Berenice Sadie Brownblack cook with a blue glass eye, married four times, in 'The Member of the Wedding' (1946) by Carson McCullers
- Berenicewhose brightly white teeth are drawn by Egaeus while she is in a trance, in Edgar Allan Poe's short story 'Berenice' (1840)
- "Berenice" play by Jean Racine (1670)
- "Berenice" opera by George Frideric Handel
- Variation of Ancient Greek Berenikefrom the name Pherenike
- Usual English pronunciation: bareuh,NY,see