Aramaic"son of consolation"
Barnabas Origin and Meaning
The name Barnabas is boy's name of Aramaic origin meaning "son of consolation".
Barnabas, whose birth name was Joseph, was one of the earliest Christian disciples in Jerusalem, who undertook missionary journeys with Paul the Apostle, His name is a bit Old World compared to the update Barnaby, but could gain some attention as boys' names ending in 's' are enjoying a comeback.
20 Names Similar to Barnabas
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Barnabas.
Famous People Named Barnabas
- Barnabasbiblical disciple
- Barnabas BidwellU.S. Congressman from Massachusetts
- Barnabas Kelet HenaganAmerican politician; 58th Governor of South Carolina
- Barnabas Sibusiso DlaminiPrime Minister of Swaziland
- Barnabas OleyEnglish churchman, academic and editor during the First Civil War
- Barnabas Andyar Iyorhyer GemadeNigerian Senator
- Barnabas GoochEnglish MP and academic
Barnabas in Pop Culture
- Barnabas Collinscharacter on TV's "Dark Shadows"
- Barnabasscary character in Russian stories
- Barnabasdemon in "Charmed"
- Barnabas "Barney" Stinsoncharacter from "How I Met Your Mother
- Barnabas Halewarlock in Cassandra Clare's trilogy "The Dark Artifices"