Scandinavian variation of Andrew"strong and manly"
Anders Origin and Meaning
The name Anders is boy's name of Scandinavian origin meaning "strong and manly".
Friendly, unusual, but a decidedly Old Country version of Andrew and one of the classic Scandinavian names. It made a brief appearance in the US Top 1000 in 2006 and then reentered in 2010. Its rising popularity could be attributed to the interest in Anderson, which has been gaining steadily over the last fifteen years.
Trivia tidbits: The patronymic Andersson is the second most popular surname in Sweden, and in Denmark, Donald Duck is called Anders.
# 884 in the US
Anders Rank in US Top 1000
20 Names Similar to Anders
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Anders.
Famous People Named Anders
- Anders "Ders" HolmAmerican actor and screenwriter
- Anders Per JärrydSwedish doubles tennis player
- Anders Fogh RasmussenDanish politician, NATO secretary,general
- Anders AuklandNorwegian skier
- Anders Leonard ZornSwedish painter
- Anders Frithiof AugustDanish screenwriter; son of Billie and Pernilla August
- Anders Samuelsonson of runner Joan Benoit and Scott Samuelson
- Anders Reyn Ribeiro (b. 2015)son of Alfonso Ribeiro & Angela Unkrich
Anders in Pop Culture
- Anders "Ders" Holmvikcharacter on TV's "Workaholics," played by Anders Holm
- Anders Du Plessischaracter on British TV series "Wild at Heart"
- Andersa character from the video game 'Dragon Age: Origins , Awakening' and 'Dragon Age II'
- Anders of Mindelancharacter from Tamora Pierce series "Protector of the Small"
- Anders Johnson (Bragi)character on the New Zealand TV show "The Almighty Johnsons"