Diminutive of Wilhelmina"resolute protection"
Wilma Origin and Meaning
The name Wilma is a girl's name of German, Scottish, Swedish origin meaning "resolute protection".
In the US, Wilma is appears to be eternally fossilized in Bedrock as Fred Flintstone's wife, but in Sweden it's a Top 10 hottie. It did have its moment in the US--from 1912 to 1940 it was a Top 100 name. One notable namesake: track and field star Wilma Rudolph.
20 Names Similar to Wilma
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Wilma.
Lists containing Wilma
- Uncommon Girl Names in the US
- Forever Geeky Names
- Coolated Girls' Names
- Film Noir Baby Names
- Black Hero Names
- Old People Names
- Olympic Baby Names
- Scandinavian Names
Famous People Named Wilma
- Wilma Glodean RudolphAmerican Olympic sprinter
- (Wilma) Jeanne CooperAmerican actress
- Wilma Pearl MankillerNative American Cherokee chief
- Wilma L. VaughtAmerican Air Force brigadier general
- Wilhelmine Maria Franziska "Wilma" NerudaLady Hallé, Czech violinist
Wilma in Pop Culture
- Wilma Flintstonecharacter on "The Flintstones"
- Wilma Tenderfootcharacter in a book series by Emma Kennedy
- Wilma/Wilhelmina "Will" the Guardian of Quintessence in "W.I.T.C.H," a comic book and animated series
- Wilmacharacter from movie "Dude, Where's My Car?"
- Wilma Dean "Deanie" Loomischaracter in play/film "Splendor in the Grass"