The name Willa is a girl's name of German origin meaning "resolute protection". Willa is ranked #454 on our popularity charts and is often added to lists like Vintage Baby Names and discussed in our forums with posts like "Which would you choose?".
From the experts:
Willa has become increasingly fashionable, with its combination of Willa (born Wilella) Cather-like pioneer strength and the graceful beauty of the willow tree. Actress Keri Russell named her daughter Willa Lou, late actor Philip Seymour Hoffman used Willa for the youngest of his three children, and David Mamet and Brian De Palma also have daughters named Willa, plus it's the middle name of Meryl Streep's actress daughter Mary (called Mamie.) Young Willa characters have appears on Six Feet Under and True Blood.
Willa originated as a short form of Wilhelmina. After a half-century hiatus, it reentered the U.S. Top 1000 in 2010 and soared to the Top 500, for the first time since 1949, in 2015.
Lists containing Willa:
- Hot Celebrity Baby Names
- Names All Your Friends Will Think Are Cool
- If You Like Lily, You Might Love...
- Girl Baby Names Moving Up Fast
- Coolator for Girls' Names
- Good Girls
- Yupster Baby Names for Girls
- Literary Baby Names Inspired by Authors
- If You Like Emma, You Might Love...
- Vintage Baby Names
- Heroine Baby Names
- Classic Baby Names with a Twist
- Film Noir Baby Names
- College Baby Names
- Literary Baby Names
- Baby Name Favorites Right Now
- Great Names for Big Dogs
- Rustic Baby Names
- Hipster British Baby Names for Girls
- Urban Prairie Names