Philemon Origin and Meaning
The name Philemon is a boy's name of Greek origin meaning "kiss".
Rarely heard New Testament name -- he was a friend of Saint Paul -- that might conceivably stand up to modern usage.
20 Names Similar to Philemon
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Philemon.
Lists containing Philemon
Famous People Named Philemon
- Philemon4th,/3rd,century BCE poet and playwright
- Philemon Tecumseh Shermanson of Civil War General William Tecumseh Sherman
- Philemon Holland (15521637), English translator
- Philemon Pownollofficer of the Royal Navy
- Philemon Beecher "P.B." Van Trump (18391916), American mountaineer known for the first ascent of Mount Rainier in 1870
- Filemon Wesselink (b. 1979)Dutch television presenter
Philemon in Pop Culture
- From Greek philema 'a kiss'. Philemon was a fairly common name in Ancient Greece.
- Mythological; features in the tale of Baucis and Philemon.
- Biblical; name of the recipient of one of St Paul's letters in the New Testament.
- In Britain mainly used in the 19th century though never in great numbers. In modern times still in use in the US, though very infrequently.
- Pronounced fi,LEE,mən or fie,LEE,mən in English, FEE,leh,mahn in German.
Find your type.
Analyze your Baby Name DNA and find the names that match your unique style.