Moritz Origin and Meaning
The name Moritz is a boy's name of German origin meaning "dark-skinned".
The exotic-to-the-English-ear Moritz is a Top 20 name in Germany and a form of Maurice or Morris, which are modern variations of the ancient Roman Maurus. There were several early saints named Maurus and a famous 3rd century Saint Maurice, who was a Roman infantryman who was martyred when he refused to worship Roman gods. The Moritz form also references the posh Swiss ski resort St. Moritz.
20 Names Similar to Moritz
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Moritz.
Want to keep track of your favorite names?
Create an account and you can create lists, keep track of favorites, and even be alerted when there is new content posted about a name.
Lists containing Moritz
Famous People Named Moritz
- Moritz (or Maurice)Prince of Anhalt,Dessau, son of Leopold I
- Moritz Franz Friedrich Constantin Alexander Heinrich August Carl AlbrechtPrince of Saxe,Altenburg; son of Duke Georg
- Moritz SteinschneiderCzech bibliographer and Orientalist
- Moritz MoszkowskiGerman composer and pianist
- Moritz Johann BleibtreuGerman actor
- (Friedrich Albert) Moritz SchlickGerman philosopher
- Moritz Wilhelm BöhringerGerman NFL player
- Moritz VolzGerman footballer
- (Victor) Moritz "Moe" WagnerGerman basketball player
- Moritz Horst LampertGerman golfer
- Moritz Johannes Axel Peter Meinrad (b. 1980)son of Prince Ferfried of Hohenzollern
- Moritz Otto Wenzel Douglas (b. 1994)Swedish count; son of Archduchess Walburga Habsburg Douglas
- Moritz Emanuel Maria (b. 2003)Prince of Liechtenstein; grandson of Hans,Adam II
Moritz in Pop Culture
- Moritz Stiefelmain character in Broadway musical "Spring Awakening"