Melvin Origin and Meaning
The name Melvin is a boy's name of English origin meaning "council protector".
This once perfectly respectable surname has suffered decades of abuse, not least by Jerry Lewis's character in the fifties. NFL running back Melvin Gordon stars for the Los Angeles Chargers.
# 761 in the US
Melvin Rank in US Top 2000
20 Names Similar to Melvin
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Melvin.
Want to keep track of your favorite names?
Create an account and you can create lists, keep track of favorites, and even be alerted when there is new content posted about a name.
Lists containing Melvin
Famous People Named Melvin
- Melvin Lewis Calhoun. Jr. aka Kutt CalhounAmerican rapper
- Melvin BelliAmerican lawyer known as 'The King of Torts'
- Melvin BernhardtAmerican stage and television director
- Melvin BookerAmerican basketball player
- Melvin BrownMexican football player
- Melvin BullittAmerican football player
- Melvin BurgessBritish author of children's fiction
- Melvin CalvinAmerican chemist who discovered the Calvin cycle
- Melvin DayNew Zealand artist and art historian
- Melvin DummarAmerican hoaxer and subject of film Melvin and Howard
- Melvin Ejim: American basketball player
- Melvin ElyAmerican basketball player
- Melvin Edmondsmember of R&B group After 7
- Melvin FowlerAmerican football center
- Melvin FrankAmerican screenwriter and film director
- Melvin Franklinstage name of American bass singer David Melvin English
- Melvin GibbsAmerican bass guitarist
- Melvin GuillardAmerican mixed martial artist
- Melvin HochsterAmerican mathematician
- Melvin JonesAmerican football player
- Melvin Jonesfounder of Lions Clubs International
- Melvin Kaminskygiven name of actor Mel Brooks
- Melvin KonnerProfessor of Anthropology
- Melvin R. LairdAmerican politician and writer
- Melvin MaasU.S. Representative from Minnesota
- Melvin ManhoefDutch kickboxer
- Melvin McQuaidmember of the Canadian House of Commons
- Melvin MoraMajor League baseball player
- Melvin Nievesbaseball player
- Melvin O'DoomEnglish comedian
- Melvin OttMajor League Baseball right fielder
- Melvin ParkerAmerican drummer who played in James Brown's band
- Melvin Van PeeblesAmerican actor and director
- Melvin PlatjeDutch football player
- Melvin PurvisAmerican FBI agent
- Melvin RaginAmerican guitarist known as 'Wah,Wah Watson'
- Melvin Rhynejazz organist
- Melvin RosenAmerican track coach
- Melvin SchwartzAmerican physicist who won the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1988
- Melvin SealsAmerican musician
- Melvin SiaMalaysian,Chinese actor, singer, and model
- Melvin SparksAmerican jazz guitarist
- Melvin SteinbergGovernor of Maryland from 1987 to 1995
- Melvin StewartAmerican swimmer and Olympic medal winner
- Melvin TarleyLiberian footballer
- Melvin B. TolsonAmerican modernist poet
- Melvin Alvah TraylorAmerican banker
- Melvin Alvah TraylorJr., American ornithologist
- Melvin TurpinAmerican basketball player
- Melvin ValladaresHonduran football striker
- Melvin WatkinsAmerican basketball coach
- Melvin ZaisUnited States Army general
- Eric Scott Melvinmusician in American band NOFX
Melvin in Pop Culture
- Melvin Jonesmain character in the film "Sailor Beware"
- Melvin Frohikecharacter on "The X,Files"
- Melvin "Big Smoke" Harrischaracter in the video game Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
- Melvin Palmercharacter on TV's Boston Legal
- Melvin the Superhero Guypuppet of ventriloquist Jeff Dunham
- Melvinthe name given to the evil alter,ego of Marik Ishtar, in theYu,Gi,Oh! parody series Yu,gi,Oh! The Abridged Series
- Melvin Sneedlycharacter in Dav Pilkey's book series Captain Underpants
- Melvin the Monsterminor character from Tiny Toon Adventures
- Melvin UdallJack Nicholson's character in As Good as It Gets
- Melvin Butlersnerd from the manga and anime Sailor Moon
- Melvin Wilderlazy, arrogant farmhand in Jim Leonard Jr.s' play "The Diviners"
- Melvincharacter in video game 'Dragon Warrior VII'
- Lough Melvinlake on the border with the Republic of Ireland
- MelvinsAmerican rock band
- The "Melvin"national Scoutcraft Competition of Scouting Ireland (CSI)
- The MelvinsAmerican band
- Melvinterm for a wedgie
- Melvin "Mel" Horowitzcharacter in the 1995 film "Clueless" & later the TV series "Clueless
- Melvincharacter in the animated series “Invader Zim”