Katharine Origin and Meaning
The name Katharine is a girl's name of Greek origin meaning "pure".
This is the spelling that old-time film star Katharine Hepburn used, and it's still favored by fans wanting to reference her classic strength and beauty. But in general, it's losing ground to Katherine and even Ms. Hepburn's own favorite short form, Kate.
20 Names Similar to Katharine
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Katharine.
Want to keep track of your favorite names?
Create an account and you can create lists, keep track of favorites, and even be alerted when there is new content posted about a name.
Lists containing Katharine
Famous People Named Katharine
- Saint Katharine Marie DrexelAmerican philanthropist & nun
- Katharine Houghton HepburnAmerican actress
- Katharine Meyer GrahamAmerican owner of The Washington Post
- Katharine Hope McPheeAmerican singer and actress
- Katharine CornellAmerican actress and theater producer
- Katharine Isabelle (born Katherine Isobel Murray)actress
- Katharine Lucy Mary WorsleyDuchess of Kent, wife of Britain's Prince Edward, Duke of Kent
- Katharine Juliet RossAmerican actress
- Katharine Jefferts SchoriBishop of Episcopal Church
- Katharine Burr BlodgettAmerican physicist and inventor
- Katharine HoughtonAmerican actress, niece of Katharine Hepburn
- Katharine Julia "Poppy" HarlowAmerican CNN anchor
- Katharine Bouchage Weymouthpublisher of The Washington Post
Katharine in Pop Culture
- Katharinecharacter in "Half,Magic"
- Katharine "Kittyleen" Garlandcharacter in May's "Kittyleen"
- Katharine Tulmancharacter in Cameron's "The Dark Unwinding"
- Katharinecharacter in Shakespeare's "Love's Labour's Lost"
- Katharinequeen in Kendare Blake's trilogy "Three Dark Crowns"