The name Jessie is a girl's name of Hebrew, Scottish origin meaning "wealthy". Jessie is ranked #656 on our popularity charts and is often added to lists like Cool Cowgirl Names and discussed in our forums with posts like "Change Two Letters".
From the experts:
Jessie has never been used as much as Jennie/Jenny, partly because it's a boys’ name as well (spelled Jesse), but it does have a friendly and unpretentious pioneer feel. In Scotland, it's found as an Anglicized form of Teasagh, itself a form of Jean, and is used as a full name. And in the rest of the world, Jessie may be short for Jessica or used on its own.
Jessie Redmon Fauset was a novelist known for her involvement in the Harlem Renaissance.
Lists containing Jessie
Jessie in Blog Posts
- Vintage Girl Names: 20+ great lost nickname names
- Naming Book Characters: 3 Easy Steps
- Unusual Baby Names: Phaedra, Phoenix and Penna
- A Celebrity Mom Talks About Her Surprising Name Choice
- 2013 Baby Name Predictions: Knight, Pepper and Livingston in the Nameberry 9
- Baby Names 2012: The new babyberry quarterly report
Jessie in the Forums
16 names similar to Jessie
These 16 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Jessie. If you didn't find an alternative name that you like better than Jessie, try our name generator. It allows you to go beyond the similarities of a name, which can provide a lot of inspiration!