The name Isobel is a girl's name of Scottish origin meaning "pledged to God". Isobel and is often added to lists like Classic Baby Names with a Twist and discussed in our forums with posts like "Which would you choose?".
From the experts:
The Scottish spelling of Isabel has a definite character of her own, the 'o' giving her an extra infusion of strength but also an element of confusion. How do you pronounce that? Answer: Exactly like Isabel or Isabelle.
Isobels have appeared on several high-profile TV shows: Isobel Crawley is Matthew's mother on Downton Abbey, Isobel Fleming is a Vampire Diaries character, and Isobel Stevens was known as Izzie on Grey's Anatomy.
Lists containing Isobel
Isobel in Blog Posts
- Nameberry 9 Roundup: The year's best from Scout to Sylvie to Sutton
- TV Names: Upstairs, Downstairs & Downton
- Baby Names Hot in the UK, Not in the US
- Baby Names 2012: The third quarterly report of Nameberry newbies
- Celtic Baby Names: Newbie news from Ireland and Scotland
- Name Popularity: The Nameberry 9--Ezra, Etta and June
Isobel in the Forums
16 names similar to Isobel
These 16 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Isobel. If you didn't find an alternative name that you like better than Isobel, try our name generator. It allows you to go beyond the similarities of a name, which can provide a lot of inspiration!