The name Ianthe is a girl's name of Greek origin meaning "purple flower". Ianthe and is often added to lists like Gorgeous Flower Names for Babies and discussed in our forums with posts like "Quick Question Thread?!".
From the experts:
Like Violet, Lavender and Lilac, Ianthe is a purple flower name. Chosen by the poet Shelley for his daughter, Ianthe has a poetic, romantic, almost ethereal quality. In the ancient myth, she was the daughter of Oceanus, supreme ruler of the sea, and also a Cretan woman so beautiful that when she died the Gods made purple flowers grow around her grave.
Iantha is also used.
Ianthe was a favorite of the pastoral poets of the seventeenth century and then again in the early nineteenth. She appears in the works of Shelley, Barbara Pym and Georgette Heyer. Writer Richard Brautigan named his daughter Ianthe.
Lists containing Ianthe:
- Creative Baby Names
- Gorgeous Flower Names for Babies
- Best Girl Names Starting with Vowels
- Unique Baby Names: Unusual and Rare
- Mythology Baby Names for Girls
- Cool Baby Names That Start With I
- Unique Baby Girl Names
- Best One-of-a-Kind Names for Girls
- Pisces Baby Names
- Beautiful Bohemian Names for Girls